2015 – 2016 --UNIVERSITY OF OXFORD – Oxford Internet Institute
Oxford - Master in Social Science of the Internet
Distinctions in Online Metrics and Measurements and Technology & Regulation
2014 – 2015--UNIVERSITY OF OXFORD – Blavatnik School of Government
Oxford - Master of Public Policy
Distinction in Foundations of Government
2005 - 2009 --UNIVERSIDAD TORCUATO DI TELLA (UTDT) – Faculty of Law
Buenos Aires – Law Degree
1st of Class. Focus on Constitutional Law & Philosophy of Law
· Selected amongst students from top Universities for fully funded participation in the Open Society OSIRG Program (2015)
· Awarded Chevening Scholarship (2014)
· First of Class (Gold Medal) awarded by the UTDT Faculty of Law (2008)
BERKMAN KLEIN CENTER FOR INTERNET & SOCIETY (Harvard Law)
· Co-chair of the Re-Decentralizing the Web Study Group;
· Co-founder of Emerging Digital Issues in the Global South (EDIGS) working group, Co-Editor of #ThinkSouth Fanzine,
· Coordinated and chaired roundtables on algorithmic accountability with academics from Harvard and MIT.
· Coordinated roundtables on competition within the tech industry with former US Government officials.
Senior Policy Fellow (July 2019-May 2020) // Policy Fellow (March 2017 – June 2019)
· Technical and operational support to Sir Tim Berners-Lee on major policy issues.
· Designed templates and coordinated the Working Groups that drafted the ContractfortheWeb.org . Lead WF negotiator.
· Designed methodology and co-authored research on Facebook’s News Feed algorithm & the Use of automated systems by Latin American Governments
· Produced WFs presentation on Net Neutrality before the FCC.
· Coordinated, revised and edited publications on AI, algorithms and personal control over personal data
· Represented the foundation at conferences and roundtables.
INDEPENDENT CONSULTANT & ACTIVIST
(2015 – Present)
· Co-rowing for a Non-Aligned Technologies Movement (2020 - Present)
·Just-Labs Associate– Developing innovative approaches for Human Rights defenders- (Jan 2016 – Present) – Coordinated workshops on future thinking (2020). Provided consultancy services to MIT’s GovLab for projects in Mexico and Brazil.
· Member of the Centro Latam Digital Academic Committee (2021)
· Member of the Tierra Comun Network of Latin American Researchers
· Global Disinformation Index: Co-authored report on the Argentine Media Market Risk Ratings (2020)
· Member of the Centro Latam Digital Academic Committee
· Google Policy Fellow –Unveiled government misrepresentation of key statistics regarding internet use and analysed the Universal Internet Access Policy, Mexico Conectado, Mexico City (Sept – Nov 2016)
· Open Society Intern for Human Rights and Governance – Developed a diagnostic report on Mexico’s Open Gov Data policy - Mexico City (June – Sept 2015)
ASOCIACIÓN CIVIL POR LA IGUALDAD Y LA JUSTICIA (ACIJ) – CSO - Argentina
Strengthening of Democratic Institutions – 2011-2014
· Coordinated actions from five NGOs that solicit a Legislative rectification in the appointment of a new auditor, which violates constitutionally recognized gender quota (http://bit.ly/1rWT0zd )
· Coordinated actions from five NGOs in a campaign for the appointment of a National Ombuds (http://bit.ly/2z8kXRN )
· Developed and applied a real-time online debate forum on judicial reform. Coordinated participation of leading figures of national debate on judicial reform, such as María L. Garrigós, and debated with them (http://bit.ly/17mc8j2)
· Created and represented two web-based observatories on judge selection processes (city of BA and nationwide: http://bit.ly/18901Gl and http://bit.ly/hWXYmI). Implemented crowdsourcing methods as input for analysis of regulations and practices for periodic posts on irregularities detected (+86,000 views). Created interactive graphs to visualize results through Tableau Public. Succeeded in generating a major transparency reform in the City of BA: Sued the Council for not granting public access to videos of oral exams and interviews. Council now publishes videos on YouTube.
· Drafted challenges against the designation of a Judge and the State Prosecutor, the contents of which were used by several senators during the Public Hearing, and were published by the press (http://bit.ly/194uWnX)
·Defined strategy and implemented digital campaign against a major reform of the judiciary. Coordinated support from NGOs for what became the fastest growing online petition in Argentina (140.000 signatures in 7 days +17,000 Facebook likes). Massive repercussions in media and Senate (reformajusticia.org + Change)
·Drafted script, sketched visuals, and supervised development of a TV spot against the reform of the judiciary (+21,000 views on youtube- http://bit.ly/107lL1v)
· Sketched and co-developed prototype of web application for the National Ombudsman to simplify presentation of complaints and facilitate public access to reports (http://bit.ly/1iWifMp)
· Coordinated activities with programmers to crowdsource the systematization of information contained in closed format asset declarations of politicians throughout Argentina (http://bit.ly/1hN801L)
· Co-designed a cutting-edge fund-winning project on the use of ICTs for transparency and citizen participation throughout the judge selection process (CAD$ 50.000 - http://bit.ly/18901Gl ). Brainstormed a fund-winning project on civic-tech to crowd-control progress of public works in shanty towns (U$145.000 - http://bit.ly/1PdNMNE).
· Participated in the mapping of twitter activity during the #8A anti-government protests (http://bit.ly/18AFG9l )
· Supervised redesigning process of ACIJ’s website and creation of three blogs: increased interactivity, integrated social networks and simplified navigability.
· Created and administered twitter account @ACIJ_FID – managed to attract 1,280 followers by debating publicly with Council of Magistrate’s representatives on the need to implement reforms.
Supreme Audit Institutions
· Researched and assessed best practices on transparency, participation, accountability, and use of ICTs by Latin American Supreme Audit Institutions. Networked national and sub-national officials of Latin America and representatives of labour union. Organized conferences and managed budget. (Project supported by the World Bank Institute and Open Society Foundations)
· Drafted opinions on Congress activity regarding Supreme Audit Institutions in Argentina and El Salvador
· Designed and created interactive website to disseminate research on transparency and participative practices implemented by Supreme Audit Institutions of Latin America, and promote and facilitate interaction between regional actors (http://bit.ly/17o13QZ )
· Collaborated and brainstormed with members of Congress Garrido and Stolbizer on the drafts of laws on Access to Information and Open Government.
Berkman Klein Summer School - Invited Instructor
Co-Designed and taught a 3 hour course on public interest negotiation and advocacy.
UNIVERSIDAD TORCUTO DI TELLA (UTDT)
Constitutional Law (2011) - Teaching Assistant
Designed and taught 2-hour sessions where 45 students analysed leading cases under the light of different theoretical frameworks. Responsible for grading exercises and essays.
UNIVERSIDAD TORCUTO DI TELLA (UTDT)
Philosophy of Law (2009-2010) -Teaching Assistant
Designed and taught 2-hour weekly sessions where 45 students experimented with theoretical frameworks by analysing their meanings in specific contexts. Responsible for grading exercises and essays.
UNIVERSIDAD DE FLORES (UFLO)
Philosophy of Law (2010) - Teaching Assistant
Designed and taught 2-hour sessions where 45 students experimented with theoretical frameworks by analysing their meanings in specific contexts. Responsible for grading exercises and essays.
ARTENTIK.COM – Art in a Click November 2011- Dec 2014
Co-Founder of a regional online marketplace for artists: Democratizing access to the art market
· Designed business model, sketched website functionalities, recruited over 80 artists, managed a community of over 5,400 Facebook followers. Published op-ed explaining how artists could leverage digital marketplaces. Drafted contracts and brand protection paperwork. https://web.archive.org/web/20140614185826/http:/www.artentik.com/
Szewach, P. & Ortiz Freuler, J., “Disinformation and the Current State of Argentina’s Media MarketI” (Global Disinformation Index, December 2020), https://disinformationindex.org/2020/12/disinformation-and-the-current-state-of-argentinas-media-market/.
Ortiz Freuler, J., Iglesias, C., “How Are Governments in Latin America Using Artificial Intelligence?”, Aug, 2018 https://webfoundation.org/research/how-are-governments-in-latin-america-using-artificial-intelligence/
Avila, R., Brandusescu, A., Ortiz Freuler, J., & Thakur, D. Artificial Intelligence: open questions about gender inclusion”, Women 20 (a G-20 track). Sept, 2018 http://w20argentina.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/ai.pdf
Avila, R., Ortiz Freuler, J., & Fagan, C. “The invisible curation of content: Facebook’s News Feed and our information diets. Web Foundation. April, 2018 https://webfoundation.org/research/the-invisible-curation-of-content-facebooks-news-feed-and-our-information-diets/ - Cited by UN Special Rapporteur Report on AI (A/73/348)
Brandusescu, A., Ortiz Freuler, J., & Thakur, D. Artificial Intelligence: starting the policy dialogue in Africa. Web Foundation. Dec, 2017. https://webfoundation.org/research/artificial-intelligence-starting-the-policy-dialogue-in-africa/
Ortiz Freuler, J. How much did the percentage of internet users in México actually grow in 2015? An analysis of the official statistics, and their interpretation by public officials” (Spanish), Consultancy for R3D, 2017 https://r3d.mx/2017/03/12/el-estiron-de-mexico-conectado-cuanto-crecio-realmente-el-numero-de-usuarios-de-internet-en-2015/ – Quoted in Internet Governance and Regulations in Latin America (FGV, ISOC)
Ortiz Freuler, J., “Mexico's Universal Internet Access policy: Mexico Conectado” A working document presented at the UN’s IGF, December 2016 https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XQem8LXST4H2mpdkpg-vFPaS4kKkHQ1s7SZREI3puH4/edit
Ortiz Freuler, J., “Supply and Demand of Open Data in Mexico: A Diagnostic Report on the Government’s New Open Data Portal”, Consultancy for Social Tic, 2015. https://www.scribd.com/doc/274622757/Supply-and-Demand-of-Data-Through-Mexico-s-Open-Data-Portal
Ortiz Freuler, J., “The Argentine Ombudsman: Diagnostic and recommendations on transparency, accountability and openness” (Spanish), ACIJ, 2014. https://iniciativatpa.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Informe-DP-Argentina-FINAL.pdf
Ortiz Freuler, J., & Cornejo, C. “Information Technologies and Public Control in Latin America: Proposals and Good Practices for the Strengthening of Public Oversight Office’s Websites” (Spanish), ACIJ – Iniciativa TPA, 2013 https://iniciativatpa.org/tecnologias-de-la-informacion-y-control-publico-en-america-latina/
Ortiz Freuler, J., “Strategies and tools for the administration of a Web based Observatory on Competitive Public Contests.” (Spanish), ACIJ, 2013. https://concursostransparentes.acij.org.ar/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Manual-1.pdf
Maurino, G., & Ortiz Freuler, J., “Selection of Judges in the City of Buenos Aires: Diagnostic and proposals”, (Spanish), ACIJ, 2013 https://web.archive.org/web/20190112094826/https://concursostransparentes.acij.org.ar/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Selecci%C3%B3n-de-Magistrados.pdf
Maurino, G. Ortiz Freuler, J., “Suggestions and Good Practices for the selection of Judges in Argentina”, (Spanish), ACIJ, 2013. https://concursostransparentes.acij.org.ar/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Buenas-Pr%C3%A1cticas.pdf
Ortiz Freuler, J., Carolina Cornejo,“Participatory Planning in the Auditoría General de la Nación Argentina”, (ACIJ), 2011. https://iniciativatpa.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/participatory-planning-in-the-auditoria-general-de-la-nacion-argentina.pdf
Carolina Cornejo, Ortiz Freuler, J., Renzo Lavin, Gustavo Maurino “Diagnostic Report on Transparency, Citizen Participation and Accountability in Supreme Audit Institutions of Latin America”, (ACIJ), 2011 (http://bit.ly/rJe3d2) – Quoted extensively by the Comptroller General of Chile at the UN-INTOSAI summit held in Vienna, march 2013. (http://bit.ly/17Ey7j5)
Ortiz Freuler, J. (2020). Dilema Social: 4 grandes desafíos de las redes sociales. La Nación. Retrieved January 5, 2021 from https://www.lanacion.com.ar/opinion/dilema-social-4-grandes-desafios-redes-sociales-nid2480422
Primavera De Filippi, Juan Ortiz Freuler, and Joshua Tan, “The Declarations of Cyberspace,” Berkman Klein Center Medium (blog), November 30, 2020,
Ortiz Freuler, J. (2020). TikTok, Trump and the need for a digital non-aligned movement. Open Democracy. Retrieved August 15, 2020 from https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/oureconomy/tiktok-trump-and-need-digital-non-aligned-movement/
Ortiz Freuler, J. (2020). The case for a digital non-aligned movement. Open Democracy. Retrieved July 15, 2020 from https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/oureconomy/case-digital-non-aligned-movement/
Ortiz Freuler, J. & Leith, R. (2018). Three Reflections on Decentralization. Berkman Klein Centre. Retrieved October 29, 2019 from https://medium.com/berkman-klein-center/three-reflections-on-decentralization-112bd8751e41
Ortiz Freuler, J. (2018). Is the web neutral? Chatham House. Retrieved October 29, 2019 from https://demtech.chathamhouse.org/is-the-web-neutral-three-views-on-structure-of-internet/
Republished by Open Democracy https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/digitaliberties/is-the-internet-to-blame-for-the-rise-of-authoritarianism/
Translated into Albanian Rrokum TV https://www.rrokum.tv/?p=246385
Ortiz Freuler, J. (2018). Techlash: why Facebook’s approach to #FakeNews ultimately fails. Common Dreams. Retrieved October 29, 2019 from https://www.commondreams.org/views/2018/08/28/facebook-will-fail-solve-fakenews
Ortiz Freuler, J. (2018) ¿La inteligencia artificial es un boleto a la Babilonia de Borges?. Planeta Chatbot. Retrieved October 29, 2019 from https://planetachatbot.com/inteligencia-artificial-es-boleto-a-babilonia-de-borges-8a5449211e71
Ortiz Freuler, J. (2018) The Cambridge Analytica scandal is a drop of water trickling down the visible top of an iceberg. Focus on decentralizing power. Open Democracy. Retrieved October 29, 2019 from https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/digitaliberties/battle-for-decentralized-internet-navigating-troubled-waters-to-g/
Ortiz Freuler, J. (2018) The present and future of a centralized internet. Open Democracy. Retrieved October 29, 2019 from https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/digitaliberties/present-and-future-of-centralized-internet/
Ortiz Freuler, J. (2017). Who’s to blame? The internet on the defendant's bench. Open Democracy. Retrieved October 29, 2019 from https://www.opendemocracy.net/digitaliberties/juan-ortiz-freuler/who-s-to-blame-internet-on-defendants-bench
Ortiz Freuler, J. (2016) Internet for whom, and for what purpose? Why we’re evaluating the Mexico Conectado Policy. Animal Político. Retrieved December 12, 2016 from https://www.animalpolitico.com/blog-invitado/internet-para-quien-y-para-que/
Ortiz Freuler, J. (2014) Our representatives crossed the line. InfoBae. Retrieved June 6, 2015 from https://opinion.infobae.com/juan-ortiz-freuler/2014/04/24/nuestros-representantes-cruzaron-la-raya/
Pilo, S. & Ortiz Freuler, J (2014). The debts in Judicial appointment reforms. Clarín. Retrieved June 6, 2015 from https://www.clarin.com/opinion/deudas-arrastra-Consejo-Magistratura_0_H1MloLkjP7x.html
Ortiz Freuler, J. (2013) Reforming the Judge selection process. Crimen y Razón. Retrieved May 5, 2014 from http://crimenyrazon.com/5578/reformar-los-procesos-de-seleccion-de-jueces
Ortiz Freuler, J. (2013). Information Technologies and Public Control in Latin America. Análisis de la Gestión Pública(Newspaper administered by the Workers’ Union of oversight organisms). Retrieved May 5, 2014 from http://www.gestionpublica.info/politica-detalles-noticia/items/las-tecnologias-de-la-informacion-y-el-control-publico-en-america-latina.html
Ortiz Freuler, J. (2013) How Judges are appointed, La Nación Data. Retrieved May 2, 2013 from http://blogs.lanacion.com.ar/data/acceso-a-la-informacion-2/concursos-transparentes-como-eligen-a-los-jueces/
Ortiz Freuler, J. & Lavin, R. Open Government Partnership and Supreme Audit Institutions, Open Government Partnership Blog. Retrieved March 12, 2013 from https://gobabierto.tumblr.com/post/21216951698/alianza-para-el-gobierno-abierto-y-fiscalizaci%C3%B3n
CNN Brazil (2020, September 19). TikTok abre ação contra governo Trump para tentar escapar da proibição nos EUA. Retrieved from https://www.cnnbrasil.com.br/business/2020/09/19/tiktok-abre-acao-contra-governo-trump-para-tentar-escapar-da-proibicao-nos-eua
Infobae. (2014, March 19). The gender quota laws and the Legislature of the City of Buenos Aires. Juan Miceli. Buenos Aires. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK9vByyjG-k
Ingram, M. (2021, August 25). Talking with Juan Ortiz Freuler about Facebook's transparency report. Galley. other, Columbia Journalism Review. https://galley.cjr.org/public/conversations/-Mhye5ZIorXukfAgd4--.
“The Global South Holds a Better Future of Tech w/ Juan Ortiz Freuler”. Tech Won't Save US (July, 2020) https://podcasts.apple.com/podcast/global-south-holds-better-future-tech-w-juan-ortiz/id1507621076?i=1000485172435
"The BM Show #009: A Non Aligned Movement" The Borja Moya Show (December 2020) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdx5pnJ3EMk
“Transparency in Judicial and Legislative bodies“. Noticias Positivas. Radio Palermo. Buenos Aires, September 17, 2013 https://noticiaspositivas.org/acij-en-busca-de-la-transparencia-en-los-procesos-legislativos/ [Invited panellist to explain the work on mechanisms of transparency in Judicial and Legislative branches]
“Weaknesses in the process of judge appointments.” Radio Madres de Plaza de Mayo. Somos Radio, AM 530. Buenos Aires, May 27, 2014
https://radiocut.fm/audiocut/juan-ortiz-abogado-de-acij/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter[Interview regarding the process of selection of proposed judge, Martin Farrel]
“Gender quotas in the City’s Supreme Audit Institutions.” La once diez. Radio Ciudad, AM1110. Buenos Aires, March 31, 2014. https://radiocut.fm/audiocut/juan-ortiz-abogado-de-acij-hablando-sobre-la-violacion-de-ley-de-cupo-en-la-auditoria-de-la-ciudad/ [Live debate with former legislator Lidia Saya on Legislative’s over-reach in the appointment a General Auditor. conducted by Juan Miceli].
“Irregularities in judicial appointments.” Mañana Sylvestre. Radio del Plata, AM1030. Buenos Aires, September 19, 2012 https://www.amdelplata.com/index.php/component/grillaprogramacion/?view=detalles&id=61 [Interview conducted by Gustavo Sylvestre regarding the performance of judge contestant Luis Rodriguez’s poor performance as an investigative Judge in a case on bribery within the judicial power]
SELECTED COMMENTARY & MEDIA COVERAGE
Columbia Journalism Review, "Facebook “transparency report” turns out to be anything but" (2021, August 26 ).https://www.cjr.org/the_media_today/facebook-transparency-report-turns-out-to-be-anything-but.php
Wired, “Bridging the Internet’s Digital Language Divide” (June 6, 2019) https://www.wired.com/story/internet-digital-language-divide/
Washington Post, “The Technology 202: Facebook's messaging plans spark privacy, antitrust concerns around the world” (January 29, 2019) https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/powerpost/paloma/the-technology-202/2019/01/29/the-technology-202-facebook-s-messaging-plans-spark-privacy-antitrust-concerns-around-the-world/5c4f4aa41b326b29c3778cf0/?utm_term=.3b441fe48f61
The Guardian [partner zone], “Why are virtual assistants always female? Gender bias in AI must be remedied” (March 26, 2019) https://www.theguardian.com/pwc-partner-zone/2019/mar/26/why-are-virtual-assistants-always-female-gender-bias-in-ai-must-be-remedied
La Nación, “A study measures how Facebook influences the way Argentines are informed” (April 22, 2018) https://www.lanacion.com.ar/tecnologia/un-estudio-mide-como-facebook-influye-en-la-manera-en-que-se-informan-los-argentinos-nid2127913
Milenio, “Not grounded in fact, the [Government] claims on internet use” (May 17, 2017) https://www.milenio.com/estilo/insostenibles-las-cifras-del-inegi-sobre-internet-red3d
Aristegui, “Not grounded in fact, 74% increase in internet users, which President presumes: study” (March 14, 2017) https://aristeguinoticias.com/1403/mexico/sin-sustento-aumento-de-usuarios-de-internet-de-74-que-presume-epn-estudio/
Vanguardia, “The Government claims that Internet users in Mexico increased from 41 to 70 million, is that true?” (March 13, 2017) https://vanguardia.com.mx/articulo/el-gobierno-dice-que-los-usuarios-de-internet-en-mexico-aumentaron-de-41-70-millones-es
El Universal, “The Open Data Portal could improve: Expert”. (Septermber 14, 2019) https://www.eluniversal.com.mx/articulo/periodismo-de-datos/2015/09/14/datos-abiertos-puede-mejorar-experto
Tiempo Argentino 27/5/2014 – “NGO denounced lack of transparency in Farrell’s selection process for the position of judge”, http://www.infonews.com/nota/146247/ong-denuncio-falta-de-transparencia-en
Miradas al Sur, “A setback for Women’s rights?” (March 23, 2014) https://issuu.com/miradasalsur/docs/miradas_al_sur_edicion_305 (Coverage of a lawsuit to the City of Buenos Aires’ Legislative Branch for violating gender quotas in appointments to oversight bodies)
Tercer Sector, “2.0 Campaigns and dreams” (October 21, 2013) https://dconstitucional.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/12diputados-artc3adculo-en-tercer-sectorac3b1o-19-n93-p42-y-43.pdf
Clarín, “The process of Judge selection under the microscope” (September 18, 2013) https://www.clarin.com/politica/procesos-seleccion-jueces-lupa_0_HJZLtWNsDQx.html
El Tribuno (Salta), “A website promotes transparency in the selection of judges from around the country” (September 19, 2013) https://www.eltribuno.com/salta/c325002
International Journalists Network, “Journalists, programmers and lawyers collaborate to open government data” (December 11, 2013). https://ijnet.org/en/story/journalists-programmers-and-lawyers-collaborate-open-government-data
Tiempo Judicial ,“Proposals to reform Judge selection processes: Transparent and competitive contests” (September 23, 2013). http://www.tiempojudicial.com/seleccion-de-jueces-proponen-concursos-transparentes/
La Nación Data,“Fifteen (15) Open Data Projects showcased at AbreLatam” (June 26, 2013). http://blogs.lanacion.com.ar/data/datos-abiertos/quince-15-proyectos-de-open-data-en-abre-latam/
Workshop Co-Lead. Digital colonialism? Re-thinking metaphors and practices in a context of cyber power. RightsCon. 2021
Panel Moderator. Strategies to guarantee the right to access to the internet. RightsCon. 2021
Invited Panellist. Digital Emancipation in Latin America. Stanford Center for Comparative Studies in Race and Ethnicity . 2021
Invited Speaker. Topics in Cyberlaw: The Internet, the Web and the Splinternet. Sciences Po. 2021
Invited Panellist. Inteligencia Artificial y su impacto en la libertad de expresión. UNAM-A19. 2021.
Invited Speaker. Hacia un movimiento digital de no alineados. CELE-Universidad de Palermo. 2020
Invited Speaker. Un futuro para internet. ODIA-Universidad de Buenos Aires. 2020
Invited Panellist. La democracia en suspenso. Territorio Digital. 2020
Invited Speaker. Reimagining the Internet. Something Digital Conference, Brisbane, Australia. 2020.
Invited Panellist. Towards a Non-Aligned Tech Movement. University of Southern California - ARNIC. 2020
Invited Facilitator. Equitable health futures in AI. Wilton Park-Governing Health Futures 2030. 2020
Invited Speaker. La Gobernanza de Internet y su actualidad. Maestría en Derecho Digital y Estado de la Universidad Champagnat. 2020
Invited Panellist. Redes Sociales vs. Debate Público. Observacom-AccesNow. Covid-Jitsi. 2020
Workshop Co-Lead. The Declaration(s) of the Interdependence of Cyberspace. RadicalXChange. Covid-Zoom, 2020.
Invited Panellist. How can AI be used for Promoting & Monitoring development in Latin America? AI Latin American SumMIT. MIT, 2020 .
Invited Panellist. Human-centered Design and Open Data: how to improve AI. UN’s Internet Governance Forum. Berlin, 2019.
Invited Panellist. Digital Language Divide. RightsCon Tunis, 2019
Invited Speaker. Public Algorithms Open Government Partnership. Ottawa, 2019
Invited Participant with full funding. Facebook Oversight Board Roundtable. Facebook. Mexico City, 2019.
Invited Speaker. Personal Control over personal data. MacArthur Foundation Research Network on Opening Governance. NYC, 2018.
Invited Panellist. Disinformation in electoral contexts. Organization of American States. Mexico City, 2019.
Invited Participant with full funding. Content & Jurisdiction Contact Group Roundtables. Internet & Jurisdiction. Paris, 2019.
Co-Chair. Centralization, Decentralization & Re-Centralization- Breaking the Cycle (Co-Chaired roundtable with Cory Doctorow). Decentralized Web Summit. San Francisco, 2018.
Invited Panellist. The Facebook Dilemma. Spaceus. Cambridge, MA., 2018
Invited Panellist. Data ethics & AI. International Open Data Conference. Buenos Aires, 2018.
Workshop Co-Lead. Borges & The Future of Open Data.International Open Data Conference. Buenos Aires, 2018.
Invited Speaker. Open data & AI: Opportunities and limitations- Open Government Partnership. Tbilisi, 2018.
Invited Participant with full funding. Trust and Opening Governance. MacArthur Foundation Research Network on Opening Governance & Beeck Center. Washington D.C., 2018.
Invited Speaker. AI opportunities and risks in Low and Middle Income Countries. UNDP Eurasia. Webinar, 2018.
Invited Participant with full funding. Designing (Open) Governance. MacArthur Found. Research Network on Opening Governance & MindLab. Copenhagen, 2017.
Invited Speaker. Algorithmic Accountability and its links to open data. World Economic Forum. NY, 2017.
Invited Panellist. Markets, communities & public policies for access and Human Rights. United Nations’ Internet Governance Forum. Guadalajara, 2016.
Invited Speaker. Open Data in the developing world: Who is it for? TicTec Conference on Civic Technology. Barcelona, 2016.
Invited Panellist. The argentine Ombudsman 20 years after the constitutional reform. Chamber of Deputies of National Congress. Buenos Aires, 2014.
Invited Panellist. The Latin American Ombuds Offices and the use of ICTs. Chamber of Senators of National Congress. Montevideo, 2014.
Invited Speaker. Creating transparent contests for positions in the Judiciary. Federal Forum of the Council of Magistrates. Buenos Aires, 2014.
Invited Speaker. Leveraging ICTs to advocate for change Punto ONG - ITBA University, 2013.
Invited Participant. Using social networks for political campaigning and fundraising. US Embassy. Buenos Aires, 2013.
Invited Speaker. Opening data to crowdsource the monitoring of judicial appointments International Media Party. Buenos Aires, 2013.
Invited Speaker. The Transparent Contests Initiative: tools and outcomes. AbreLatam Conference on Open Data. Montevideo, 2013.
Invited Speaker. Appointment of Federal Judges in Tucumán. ANDHES. Tucumán, 2013.
Invited Speaker. Appointment of Federal Judges in La Rioja. AIRE La Rioja on Judicial reform. La Rioja, 2013.
Invited Speaker. Results and insights of Transparent Contests Initiative. 4th Congress on Administrative Law of the City of Buenos Aires. Buenos Aires, 2012.
· Peer reviewer for Revista Latinoamericana de Economia y Sociedad Digital
· Peer reviewer for MIT Press
· Peer reviewer for Derecho PUCP, Law Journal of the Pontifical Catholic University of Peru
· 2011- City of Buenos Aires’ Judiciary: Assisted unregistered voters during elections in Villa 31 (Informal housing district in Buenos Aires).
· 2010 – Comparte Fair Trade: Earthquake correspondent in southern Chile. Travelled for a month interviewing and publishing online reports regarding the post-earthquake living conditions of artisans who were network members. https://web.archive.org/web/20160605184228/http://www.compartesano.com/workshops/emilio-machiavello/
· 2007 - Junior Achievement: Tutor of “The Advantages of Not Dropping Out” program at a public school in the outskirts of Buenos Aires.
· 2005 & 2006 Conciencia CSO: Summer Intern of Porvenir program: Preventing child labour in tobacco fields of Salta and Jujuy. Organized classes on civil and social rights, and physical and artistic activities for minors during working hours.
Languages: Native Spanish. Fluent English. Intermediate French and Portuguese.
Storytelling through data: Completed a month-long online MOOC on Tools and methodologies for data-driven journalism offered by the University of Texas & the Open Knowledge Foundation.